There’s nothing new under the sun, or, the roof my mouth.
For 2 weeks I applied Whitening Lightning’s Zero White Pen to my teeth each night before going to sleep. That’s once a day for 14 days (See: “Hollywood’s Secret” Revealed). In all honesty, I didn’t notice a significant transformation in the whiteness of my smile, which was a little disappointing. Although maybe I have too critical of an eye, especially towards my own appearance, and can’t notice the difference. As promised, though, there was no harsh taste (in fact, there was no taste at all!) and my teeth and gums never felt sensitive. And, of course, I slept soundly knowing that what I was putting into my body wouldn’t cause any harm.
I’m thinking a few elements might have manipulated the results.
- The package confirms that you can apply the whitener as often as you’d like, allowing each application to stay on for several hours before rinsing. I was working with a sample bottle that only came with about 15 uses, so I chose to apply the whitener only once a day.
- Since I applied at night and left it on for 8 hours straight, results may have varied. Who knows, maybe too long is bad?
- The instructions tell you to dry your teeth, apply, and keep an open, wide smile for 60 seconds. Well, maybe it’s just me, but it seemed my body continued to naturally wet my mouth, which definitely tampered with the application and distribution of the liquid and may have diluted it.
- The liquid is clear, light, and smooth, making it difficult to see. When twisting the applicator I couldn’t see if the brush had been refueled and was afraid to crank it too many times for fear of running out of product. I wasn’t sure whether I was over or under applying once I brushed it across my teeth.
- Finally, I only used this product for 2 weeks and I guess I went in with the enthusiasm and optimism that I would have a brand new set of teeth after the trial was over; that I’d be stopping pedestrians in their tracks as I promenaded the streets of New York City, have my friends bursting with curiosity and envy over my new look, you know, get recruited for a Crest commercial. Then reality set in and I realized that dental hygiene, diet, and lifestyle all contribute to the appearance of tooth enamel. I admittedly eat a lot of acidic foods, drink copious amounts of coffee, and could certainly floss more often. There is no miracle product that will erase this damage overnight, especially not safely.
So, I come away from this experiment slightly disappointed and with a new fixation on “yellowing” habits, but applaud Whitening Lightning for creating a pain-free, environmentally safe product.*The light bulb in my bathroom had been changed in between shots…I tried to keep consistent lighting, sorry!
Do you notice a difference? Please share your teeth whitening secrets below!