It may not feel like fall yet, but those crisp, cool days are just around the corner and this season’s trends are already in full swing. Forget about muted, seasonal tones. Fall 2014 is all about making a statement. Bold, solid colors. Boxy, geometric shapes. Textures rather than patterns. Plus a little vintage flashback, of course. Here are my top 5 picks for owning the streets, day or night, work or play.
- A tote with a solid frame says you mean business, and the metallic square buckles add the perfect touch of femininity. This orange Melrose tote by Gunas is great if you always gravitate towards black and want to step up your style. It says you’re not afraid to go out of your comfort zone but know how to do so with sophistication. The bag is made of a lightweight faux leather and finished with details like Italian zippers.
- Shoulder pads. Definitely high fashion. Definitely for the risk taker. Definitely not for everyone. Love the look but not quite ready to take the plunge? This Soldat blazer creates the illusion of that edginess you desire. The black/white contrast and the slight over-sized fit combine for a chic mod look that will turn heads for all the right reasons. The exterior is made of hemp and tencel, a man-made fabric that is 100% eco-friendly. It’s created using wood pulp from sustainably grown trees, and all the waste created in the manufacturing process is composted or reused afterwards. The lining is 100% silk.
- Ever have your day turn into your night without a minute to transition your ensemble? I swear it happens to me at least three times a week. My savior? A glossy ballet flat. It’s practical and comfortable, and the shine is a perfect step up to this classic, casual style. Primary colors work best for the full girly/grown-up, work/play effect. This cherry Taylor flat by Oka-B can be 100% recycled. You can even send it back to the brand’s headquarters where they’ll recycle it right back into a new product!
- The dream of the 90’s is alive! And arguably here to stay. That means all denim everything. Well, at least a classic jean jacket. The M2F Roadie has a slender shape but with plenty of room for layering. The denim is made from chemical-free yarn and hand-dyed, which uses half the water and energy of traditional dying and ensures no harmful toxins are used.
- A large, one-toned handbag might be the ONLY accessory you’ll need. Especially in a shade like the Norma Amethyst, you’ll really make a statement with your outfit. There’s something about a handheld purse…it just says…I know exactly what I’m doing. And once again, it’s an elevated take on a classic style that’s appropriate for day and night. This bag is a leather/suede combo. The leather is actually made from fish, and is the byproduct of what’s used in the food industry. The suede is cruelty free and it’s water resistance and durability make the purse ideal for transporting tablets and other small electronics.