Originally posted on Steven Waddell’s blog
About 6 months ago, an old love was brought back into my life…. Coffee! For years, I thought that I would not be able to drink coffee because I was sensitive to caffeine. When I drank coffee, I would get the jitters and was left with a really bad taste in my mouth. Since the holistic world has mostly deemed that caffeine is the devil, I figured I would have to give up on the only thing that could help with the pain of waking up at 6am in a cold New York winter. Every time, I would hit the snooze button for just to long, in those cold winter months, I would have to stammer out the door in a half awake zombie like fashion. Then, I would wake up by cold ice pelting me in the face, wet feet from that winter slush puddle I just stepped in and the sound of glaring sirens. All those years without coffee had certainly been long and dark.
Then, a friend introduced me to Upgraded Coffee. Upgraded Coffee is the creation of Silicon Valley executive Dave Aspry. Aspry has a very impressive story where he lost over 100lbs. He found out that the root cause of his weight gain was due to mycotoxins, or the toxins released by fungi that can infest our food. Guess which food has a big problem with fungal toxins… Coffee! The milder symptoms of fungal toxin toxicity are the jitters, bad breath and bloating. Sound familiar?
Like me, Aspry couldn’t go without his morning cup of Joe. Unlike me, Aspry was able to plunk down 10 million bucks to build a factory that could produce beans that were mycotoxins free. Ever since, Aspry’s beans have been a huge success. Aspry recommends replacing your breakfast his coffee mixed with 2TBL of grass-fed butter, like Kerrygold and 1TBL of MCT oil (Medium Chain Triglyceride which are the beneficial fats from coconut oil.) These ingredients not only make the coffee taste amazing, but they send my metabolism through the roof, give me great focus throughout the day, and kill most harmful microorganisms living in the gut. If you do not add any sugar, (Like Aspry recommends) you will be able to keep your body in a fat burning fasted state. This can be a less stressful switch than practicing full on intermittent fasting.
Benefits of Upgraded Coffee:
- Bioflavanoids are powerful antioxidants
- Thermogenic effect will speed up your metabolism by 15% to 25%
- Can help to stimulate stem cells to create new neurons
- Binds to the same opiate receptors that cause sugar addictions thereby blocking them
- Gives the benefit of intermittent fasting with having to have an empty stomach all day
What to watch out for:
- Do not drink more than 2 cups a day. This causes metabolic acidosis, or makes your body to acidic. Which is a breeding ground for disease
- Do not drink coffee after you workout. It will stop your muscles from repairing.
- If you don’t want to buy Aspry’s beans, ask for organic, wet process beans from Central America. These are the least likely to have mycotoxins.