Guided by the motto, “truth + beauty,” Modern Minerals only manufactures cosmetics that are paraben-free, phthalate-free, and cruelty-free.
I’ve been stressing to you how crucial it is to investigate the ingredients in your cosmetics and toiletries regarding YOUR safety; the risks of cancer and infertility are hazardous in many popular brands. But there’s another label you should be looking for when choosing your make-up, skin, and hair care: CRUELTY FREE. This label ensures that the product was not tested on an animal, an inhumane and unnecessary procedure still somehow permitted in the US.
Animal Testing Facts
- A majority of tests are conducted on rats or mice that were bred in a lab setting, giving them no rights under the Animal Welfare Act. They aren’t even counted for population purposes.
- Rabbits are used for irritation tests, where products are rubbed on their bare skin and in their eyes while they are held down.
- Test animals are force-fed products for weeks to determine if there are any health side effects.
- The animals are also force-fed intentionally large amounts of the product to determine the lethal dose.
- All test animals are killed after being used for tests. Common methods for killing the animals include strangling and beheading.
Why Even Test? Puzzling Truths:
- The US does not require animal testing for any products
- Animal testing is not accurate, as the animals physiology is not the same as humans
- There are a handful of alternative methods, including 3D testing, that allow manufacturers to determine actual effects on the human body without using animals at all.
- There are thousands of ingredients that have been tested and are proven to be safe, yet companies still look to test new ones.
- The EU has banned the sale of all products tested on animals, domestic and foreign.
The good news is that there are beauty brands that know these facts, and choose the alternative. Modern Minerals is one such brand. AND the company is vegan friendly! What many consumers don’t realize is that even though some products are not tested on animals, they still may contain animal parts. This includes squished beetles for dyes and crushed animal bones for jellies in soaps, lotions, and shampoos. We love being able to provide you with products that you can trust. Always do your research, but also know that we’ve done most of it for you!